Black Trumpet Mushroom

Black Trumpet Mushroom

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The competition...

Just a few weeks ago I was happy to find just one large hedgehog mushroom, so imagine how amazing it was to find a whole bag full (2 or 3 lbs).

Granted, I had some competition...The slugs seems to love hedgehogs as much as I do! It was interesting to note that while the top was often pockmarked with slug munching the underside was always in very nice shape, fresh and clean.

I realize that seeing this will put some people off eating these mushrooms but hey, this isn't a hobby for the squeamish. It didn't bother me at all. I gave them a quick rinse and into the the saute pan they went. And they were delicious...Similar to chanterelles but with more meatiness. Truly an underrated mushroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment