Black Trumpet Mushroom

Black Trumpet Mushroom

Friday, September 30, 2011

The Smooth Chanterelle


I finally found some smooth chanterelles! So called 'smooth' because they don't have the same defined attached gills on the underside, although they're not exactly smooth either. Notice also that the smooth chanterelle has a larger thin, wavy cap. Some of the ones I found were quite large, 6-7" across.

Last week a co-worker described finding a large mushroom "12-14cm" that she thought was a chanterelle. I was skeptical until she brought in a beautiful smooth chanterelle, one of many she found. My skepticism turned to envy. But while my back woods yielded bags and bags of lovely black trumpets I hadn't had much luck with chanterelles...Until today. It wasn't a huge haul but it was enough for a few meals and it got me off the snide.

I found mine in an open grassy area by the way. They seemed to like that better then the dense woods.


No comments:

Post a Comment