Black Trumpet Mushroom

Black Trumpet Mushroom

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

When good maitakes go bad...


I knew I was pushing it but I had a lot of other mushrooms to clean and process and...well, to make a long story short, I blew it. I waited a couple days too long on some maitakes I knew about and now these lovely mushrooms are past saving and will return to the fungus from whence they came.

This years abundance has created challenges...My preserving and cooking skills are being put to the test. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a rare, wonderful, rainy, mushrooming event and that I should gather my rosebuds (or black trumpets and maitakes as the case may be) while I may.

Note that these were already bad on Sept 28th. In 2010 I found a fresh Hen of the Woods on Oct. 26th. We had a very early Maitake season this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment