Black Trumpet Mushroom

Black Trumpet Mushroom

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Chanterelle bonanza...

Sorry I haven't been posting lately but I've been busy foraging during this amazing chanterelle season we've been having here.

I'm relatively new at this game but from what I've been hearing 2013 is shaping up to be a great year for chanterelles here in upstate New York and in the northeast US in general.

Not only am I finding a lot of chanties but I'm finding a lot of large ones (see pic), about 4 lbs so far. They're so large that you might mistake them for smooth chanterelles. Smooth chanterelles usually show up later in the season in August but actually, after doing some reading, it turns out that the distinction between between them is more blurry then I realized.

The smooth chanterelle is larger, has a wavy cap, and is 'smooth' meaning no gills. But in my experience they do have gills, just not well defined ones. Meanwhile the ones I've found are quite large, have a wavy cap, but the clear gills indicate that they are golden chanties not smooth. What I've read is that the gills will run the whole spectrum from clearly defined to barely detectable.

Most importantly - from my point of view anyway - is that they are both equally delicious. That being the case I don't really spend too much time id'ing them one way or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment