Black Trumpet Mushroom

Black Trumpet Mushroom

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Black Trumpets Mushrooms = Heaven


Ahh black trumpet mushrooms...This particular mushroom reached a nearly mythic status for Mike and I. For one year we found a total of zero black trumpets. Frankly we were starting to question the very existence of the skinkin' things. Then one day about a month ago we stumbled upon a glorious patch of about 3 lbs of them and I've been finding them ever since. And let me tell you they are fantastic. Their delicate nature belies their rich and complex flavor. The 'big three' of the tastiest mushrooms are, in my novice opinion; morels, chanterelles, and black trumpets. If you offered me a choice between a pound of morels or a pound of black trumpets...Well, I'd really have to think about that.

BUT...But they aren't easy to spot. So here's some tips...Looks for oaks then look on the downhill side of them or a flat area near them. There's a theory I read that they grow best in 'washes' where the soil is moist. I've found many of them on old logging roads and even on hillsides so I guess it depends on the rainfall.

When hunting for black trumpets the going is slow because you don't know if they're there until you are right on top of them. So its step, step, look, step, look, repeat.


No comments:

Post a Comment